Virunga Volcanoes in Kisoro
The Virungas volcanic mountains
They are located in the western arm of the rift valley near the borders of the three countries and the name Virunga came from a local Rwandese word ‘ibirunga’ meaning volcanoes.
The Virunga volcanic ranges are made up of 8 mountains standing several meters above sea level. They include Mount Nyiragongo, Mount Nyamuragira, Mount Sabyinyo, Mount Muhabura, Mount Mgahinga, Mount Karisimbi, Mount Bisoke and Mount Mikeno.
These mountains are covered by thick dense equatorial forests and are homes to a number of wildlife species that include forest elephants, buffaloes, snakes, butterflies, unique tree species, monkeys and human’s closest relatives the chimpanzees and mountain gorillas.
Many tourists travel to the Virungas for major wildlife activities like gorilla tours, chimpanzee tracking, birding, snake tracking and yet they could simply visit the Virungas with a specific interest of hiking any of the mountains. The hike can also be included on any of Uganda safari itinerary and to do activity.
Safari packages to the Virunga Volcanoes
- 3 Days Gorilla Trekking Nkuringo with Lake Muntanda and Virunga Views
- 4 Days Nyiragongo hike and Volcano gorillas
- 3 Days Mount Nyiragongo Volcanoe Hike
- 3 Days Mount Sabinyo hike
- 3 Days Mount Muhavura hike
- 3 Days Mount Mgahinga hike
- 3 Days Mount Karisimbi hike
- 2 Days Mount Bisoke hike
- 2 Days Mount Nyiragongo Hike
- 1 Day Mount Sabinyo hike